Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Stage II - ICT plan for Boutique Restaurant and Spa

Stage 2

According to the Information Communication Technology Plan of University of Wollongong, Buhalis (2003), Ian Graham, Department of Immigration and Citizenship of Australian Government and NSW Health, I found the good factors which could be the advantages and related to the ICT Plan for Boutique Restaurant and SPA as follow.

1. SWOT Analysis (Base on Buhalis (2003))

- To analyze our Strength, Weakness, Opportunity, Threat.

- To study the internal and external factor in order to understand current business situation and make the right business strategy through the right business trend.

- Having the competitiveness against the existing and potential competitors.

2. Vision (Base on Buhalis (2003))

- It is very important to know the Stakeholders mapping to understand what our business would like to be this year?

3. Mission (Base on Department of Immigration and Citizenship of Australia)

- How can we get there? The unique competencies to achieve the Vision.

4. Strategic options and Strategic choices (Base on Buhalis (2003))

- To have the overview of ideas to maximize long-term benefits and growth.

5. Implementation (Base on Buhalis (2003))

- To distribute the strategic option to every departments which work functionally, actively and efficiency.

6. Communication (Based on University of Wollongong)

- To achieve the target, communication plays the important role to increase the efficiency of working.

7. Control and feedback (Base on Buhalis (2003))

- To evaluate and indicate the performance of the services.

8. Review and Improvement (Based on University of Wollongong)

- We believe that to review by top management or owner can improve the standard of working.

And the bad factor, I found only one point that may not proper to use in our ICT Plan is;

1. Strategic Alliances (Buhalis (2003)) in our business core, we do not need the alliances to work as networking or joint venture. We are able to expand the branch on our account.

9 comments:

  1. I think it is a perfect idea to first conduct a SWOT analysis on our business. Hence, it will help us to have a clear view of the current status of our business to follow up on the next stages and to plan what changes we need to consider in making our business successful in the future.

    Next, I agree with your vision and mission as well as regard to University of Wollongong ICT plan (2009) and Australian Government, Department of Immigration and Citizenship (2009). For instance, I think having a well-determined vision and mission is very useful for our business to enable both of our management as well as the employees to understand what we want to achieve and direct everyone to follow in the same direction. Moreover, Leuthesser and Kohli (1997) and Yamauchi (2001) stated that vision and mission statement are important medium for conveying company values and emphasize its uniqueness and difference in contrast to its competitors.

    However, prior to strategic options and strategic choices, I think identifying specific goals and objectives would be very much advisable for our business in regard to the University of Wollongong ICT plan (2009). Likewise, having a goal of increasing our total revenue by 20% in this year or else to increase customer satisfaction level by 10% can be some good examples of goals and objectives which we can include in our ICT plan.

    Focusing on your strategic options and Strategic choices, I think it is very much similar to Ian Graham (n.d)’s “Opportunity costs and Benefits”. Hence, I think it very suitable for our organization to concentrate on this especially since we are planning to implement some technological innovations. For instance, I believe it will help us to clarify whether the implementation is going to benefit our whole team and the guests or whether it might lead to a totally failure. Thus, conducting a thorough analysis of opportunity cost and benefits can help us to protect our business from severe risks which we might otherwise encounter in our business.

    Next, for your implementation section, I think it would be much better if we have an action plan like the one in Australian Government, Department of Immigration and Citizenship (2009). In fact, it includes people ware as of who is responsible for the tasks to be carried out and I think when everyone knows their role and in what they need to contribute, it is much easier to achieve the task efficiently.
    Furthermore, including a duration of when the task need to be completed can allow our business to practice efficient time management rather than trying to do all the times together which in turn may lead to certain important tasks been missed out or else been unable to complete on time.

    Nonetheless, I think effective communication plays an important role in accomplishing all the tasks and to operate our business efficiently and there by including the communication is quite necessary for our organization. Likewise, we can include the channels for communication and I think in this case a “Two-way” communication would be suitable. For instance, Quinn et al. (2007) stated that poor communication in an organization can lead to low morale and low productivity and I think we would not want our organization to face low productivity and our employees to become demotivated.

    Last but not the least, I think your “control and feedback” and “review and improvement” are actually same thing but then it is been explained in different terms. For instance, I think the review and improvement is far more appropriate as detailed in University of Wollongong’s ICT plan (2009) since it lists the steps very clearly to be followed which is to review, recommendation and process respectively.

    In overall, I think your ICT plan suits very well to our organization, yet we can make it better by re-structuring it a little bit and combining some ideas from other’s ICT plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the idea to start with SWOT, Vision and Mission of the organization. Australian Government’s ICT Planning and University of Wollongong also start with this pattern. The output this process will notice us to know what is our strange and weakness also including external analysis as well.

    However part “How can we get there” is suppose to be thing like strategic direction or tactical planning. The mission is kind of setting up goal but for this one is should be more practical planning.

    Strategic options and Strategic choices is also need to be more focus on the action planning but still agree with the idea of maximize long-term benefits and growth.

    About Implementation you want to separate for each department that will be very good idea to do that. According to the ICT planning of Australian Government also has this because each department has individual mission that will process on their field.

    On the communication part I just need more information which way do you want to work on the communication area.

    Control and feedback and Review and Improvement in my opinion it can combine together because of both of them is quite similar to each other and their output is the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Malaka,
    Thank you very much for your comment.
    As per your comment to let the identifying specific goals and objectives come before the strategic option and strategic choices, in my point of view, it is included in the mission already that based on Buhalis (2003) describe about Mission is the unique competencies and business scope.
    And I am agreed with you on the similarity between the “strategic options and strategic choices” and the “opportunity costs and benefits” which mentioned by Ian Graham. This will help us understand more about how to make business strategy planning to run through many threat and failure.
    In additional, I like you comment to issue the action plan personally to assign target and responsibility one by one. Your comment gives the idea that if everyone know exactly what are their role, then they can achieve the target easily and efficiency.
    Lastly, I review my idea on “Review and improvement” that I am not agree with you on my first comment. Now, I am totally agreed with you that it should go step by step to review, recommendation and process respectively.
    Conclusion, your comments are very useful for our group to show your exactly ideas that agree or disagree on my post. Mostly, I think your comment and your post are going to the same direction and agreed on the same things. Therefore, we can use the same idea as the best way in our ICT Plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good of SWOT,vision and mision as a guide line for your business i did follow your ideas. This would help the business to getting in a good directions in future. However i would like to advise you to add Future analysis: forecasting and scenarios(Buhalis) in order to estimate the future trends of your business which might have changes recently from customer behavior.
    At the end you finished off with control and feedback which is a very good point that you planning to know your customers feedback and how much satisfactions that get get from your service.
    I'm looking foward to see more in details of your ICT plan, It's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Pakawat,

    Thank you very much for your comment.

    In my opinion, mostly in important points, you agreed with me.
    Hence, i would like to suggest to use our common ideas in the stage 3 and discuss more on the different point of view which are suitable for our business.

    However, i will explain more about the communication that i think it plays the important roles in running business because Hellriegel et al (2005) was mentioned about the effective communication will help your organization corporate better and work more efficiency by giving the 7 guidelines that we can improve our communication skill as follow;
    1. Clarify your ideas before communicating.
    2. Examine the true propose of the communication.
    3. Consider the setting in which the communication will take place.
    4. Consults with other, when appropriate, in planning communications.
    5. Be mindful of the nonverbal message you send.
    6. Take the opportunity to convey something helpful to the receiver.
    7. Follow up the communication.

    In conclusion, your comments are very useful to let us discuss among the misunderstanding and share ideas. So, we should do the stage 3.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Danupol,

    Thank you for your comment.
    Mostly, I think, we understand the same as the main point of views. Your comment, suggested to put Future Analysis as well. But, i think it is included in the SWOT Analysis already. I think do not in put would much be proper.

    And the other we understand the same on evaluation.
    I think we can select which factors are good ICT plan for our business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. About the 7 guidelines that you gave us how is that will be fit in ICT planning. As I just try to summaries the main idea of that. I do not think this consider much on the ICT planning, it kind of idea to ensure the communication system in organization.

    In my point of view, I think this idea can approve to the feedback or reaction system of ICT plan that most of us also have that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. 출장안마

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. 충북 출장 마사지

    ReplyDelete